Try Try Again


After my first plan to obtain a wild bird to split its tongue and teach it how to talk was cut short by a raging alcoholic that wrung its neck I devised a new plan. I was going to take a idea I had seen on a cartoon and take a stick and a box and put some bird feed under it and then when a bird walked under the box I would pull out the stick. Like a pro. It quickly was apparent that I was fruitlessly trying to mimic engineering used mainly for comic effect with little real world success. Every time I pulled the string the birds would fly away effortlessly in the second it took the stick to fly free and the box to start to drop. Overcoming problems the way I do, I decided to dig a hole and use a slab of cement for my dead fall and it would drop so fast the bird could not escape. The careful reader would have spotted that the term typically used to describe this type of trap had 'dead' right in the name. That simple observation eluded me and I waited for my first customer who would be caught and become my best friend who could talk and preform awesome parlor tricks. The birds came to eat and I sprung the trap and that 'dead' part of dead fall proved to be prophetic in the least surprising turn of events in history. So I was there with a crushed bird crying a little when my mom came out and decided that I wasn't feeling badly enough and it would be a good time to take me down another peg. She told me it was evil to kill animals for fun, as if it had been my intention to kill the bird. I told her I was trying to catch and train it and that I had no intention of killing it but she didn't care. She even threatened to make me eat it so it didn't go to waste. I decided that all was not lost and told her I could get some flesh beetles and skeletonize it and that way I could build a skeleton display so the bird didn't die in vain. That made her think I was some sort of psychopath mass murderer in training and she emphatically forbade me from desecrating the body of the poor fallen bird. She made me bury it and never trap birds again. I didn't respect her wishes and I actually caught a bird the next day but wild birds are not really good at being caged and it beat itself to death against the walls of my cage. That broke my heart and then I stopped.