Trying to Catch and Train Birds


One of my friends when I was younger told me that if you split a birds tongue that you could teach it to talk. I did not know what split a tongue meant but I knew what birds were so I reasoned that I could start there and then figure out the rest. I devised all sorts of stratagems to capture a wild bird. But the one I settled on was to borrow a friend of mine's pump up pellet gun and shoot one with a tranquilizer dart. The main flaw in that plan was that I did not have a tranquilizer dart. So what I did was I bought some pellets and epoxied a needle to the front of it because a tranquilizer dart has a needle. At the time I was unaware that the needle on a real tranquilizer was hollow and filled with tranquilizer. I guess I assumed that the needle did the work by stunning the animal or something. I made up a about ten of these ammunition and then sterilized them in alcohol to make sure and minimize the risk of infection. Then I went over to my friend Chris's house. He was only vaguely my friend but he did have a pump up pellet gun and parents that would not ask too many question so the situation was ripe for our friendship to blossom. I went over early in the morning and we headed out along the canal where there were lots of birds and I tried a few shots with my ersatz tranquilizers it turned out that they did not have exactly perfect ballistics which is odd because I very carefully glued a needle to a pellet it should have flow true and strait and brought down my quarry with ease, exactly like it had in my fantasy about this very thing. All ten did not work or even come close. So my plan shifted a hair to the more dangerous. My new plan was to take regular bb's and shoot the bird, nurse it back to health, and then find out about the tongue splitting thing. The first part of the plan, namely shooting and injuring a bird went off without a hitch. Then we got a shoe box with grass in it for phase two; the healing. That part did not go as smoothly and the bird was making a lot of noise. My friend's dad heard it and asked what we were doing with that damn bird. We told him the plan and he decided to end the experiment at phase two by breaking the birds neck with his hands. I was really sad but at least I was able to realize that maybe Chris and his family were not a good ideological match for me friendship wise.