My Dad Yells at Quin and Makes Him Cry


 We almost always played at Quin's house because he had better toys but it was also because my house and the chaos of the place made him uncomfortable. One time I coaxed him into having a sleepover and we had a special treat in store, we both got to sleep out on the hide-away bed in the living room. Well, in a mobile home there is only so much space for stuff to happen and the hide-away was right in the middle of the public space and right at the end of the hall that lead to all of the bed rooms. We, as boys do, goofed off and had been warned about goofing off and that always makes it much funnier. When something is funnier you laugh more and the process quickly falls off the cliff. When you fall off the cliff of hilarity you plummet quickly into the abyss of 'I've-told-you-ten-damn-times' which is a dark and foreboding place where someone not familiar with the place may be disoriented and scared. My dad was prone to go all the way with his anger even with friends in the house and coming from such a docile home life Quin was poorly equipped for that level of verbal violence and threat. He got in his side of the hide-away about 30 seconds into the rage and covered himself completely with the blanket and I hadn't noticed until my dad went back into his room but Quin had started crying. I tried to talk to him a little bit to let him know that my dad would not really kill us he was just really tired and wanted to sleep. He wouldn't talk to me and just cried and hid his face in the pillow, We fell asleep and as soon as he could, about six in the morning he took his clothes and sleeping bag and walked the half mile home. He never came back inside my house. He would leave if he saw my dad or if my dad came home and our friendship was never the same again. I even made him a spear with his name on it and a cool design I had carved into it to smooth things over but he had to give it back to me because spears were not allowed in his home. I had that heartbreak of knowing we could never go back but wanting it to be the same as it was.