Dead Cat Knowledge


Speaking of my inability to keep my mouth shut when I have nothing to say, I should tell you about what I knew about dead cats. When I laid down the skinny on former felines it was in the same kitchen talking to the same mom that I expounded my wisdom about the U.S. pound of asparagus. You know? I was just thinking I was always trying to impress this woman maybe it was one of those pre-sexual crushes and I just really wanted to have her like me. Anyway, we were talking over some of her after-school baked goods and she mentioned that she had seen a dead cat that was on the side of the road and that it was quite bloated. She wondered out loud what causes dead animals to puff up like that and I thought this was a perfect chance to impress this woman with my knowledge of everything. I came up with some true-smart-facts right on the spot and began to hold forth not just verbally but with a diagram I drew. I told her and the other kids that the reason an animal will be bloated after death was that they died of a punctured lung and as the breathed their last breath they filled up their body cavities to bursting. I used my nonexistent skills as an artist to draw a diagram of what would happen complete with the outline of a animal, a rudimentary lung and arrows showing what was happening to the air. She had actually known the actual answer the whole time and was just stimulating thought with her musing so she could tell the right answer as a teaching moment. She either mercifully or cruelly waited for me to be all the way finished with my cringe-worthy monologue on perforated lungs and then told us why it really happens. I am not sure if she was super impressed with how smart I was, or just really impressed. To this day I still shudder at the shame of laying down made up wisdom with a diagram. With a damn diagram.