It's Hammer Time – Through the Door!


 Having many times reinforced my brother's response to provocation I decided to use the simple 'flee' plan of action and leave talking out of the mix. Cowardice has always been a two edged sword for me, while it has kept me out of a lot of unpleasant confrontations; it has also kept me out of a lot of in-my-best-interest confrontations. Fighting with my brother usually fell into a rhythm that you could almost write as a poem. A bad poem that you would right in English class, but a poem is a poem. It would start out with a minor provocation. Usually when one of us was bored or feeling cranky anyway and wanted to mix things up just for the sake of it. Then a little low level tussle would begin, a little pushing a little wrestling. Then the tempo would build and someone would be holding too hard or a nose would get bonked and then we would move to the third act, climax. The fight at this point would start to be the kind where any advantage would be taken to inflict pain. I was a big fan of the sleeper hold and leg scissors combination, as was Matt. Who ever got that move in first would usually win either by submitting the other brother, waiting it out until a parent broke it up, or knocking the opponent-brother out. One day though Matt went off script and decided to just overpower my choke and leg scissor with rage and then try and kill me. Once he was out of my unfinished finishing move he ran and got a roofing hammer that was always in the utility room. I once again opted for the better part of valor, as was my custom, and ran to our room and slammed the door and tried to hold it shut. What my magnificent run away and hide plan lacked was a solid door. Mobile home doors are made of cardboard on edge in a lattice and two as-thin-as-is-physically-possible pieces of plywood which gives them no rigidity and almost no resistance to a roofing hammer. Most of the time that is no big deal because who is running away from someone who is using a roofing hammer? I was, that's who was the tangent to long and you forgot? Matt came running half a second behind me with the hammer and struck the door. The doors weakness became my salvation because when he hit the door it offered so little resistance that the hammer went right through and out of his hand and into my side. You would think the shoe would be on the other foot but it was not he was still so mad that I didn't dare release the door even long enough to grab the hammer and offer a counter attack. My mom finally came and broke up the fight and saw the hole through the door and was a little upset for some reason. My dad spanked us both for fighting and ruining the door. The door however was not repaired and we just covered it with some posters. Over the years in different fights that hole in the door would allow a weapon especially a long stick to be poked in to jab a door holder that you wanted to stop holding the door. It eventually got worked into about a 10” hole and then the door was replaced. I kind of feel bad for people who didn't have hole in the door to jab weapons at brothers or sisters who wouldn't let you in to beat them up if you were really mad. Sometimes it is hard to explain why God distributes his gifts so unevenly.