Peeing the Bus and the Walk of Shame


 When I was an 11-year-old cub scout I got to go on my first over-night camp-out in our neighbor's bus. They had a really large family and they had converted an old school bus into a camper but it was no longer running and it was in their backyard as a scout refuge from the parents. It was really exciting for me to go hang out with the older boys especially because one of the guys was a huge Eddie Murphy fan and had listened to his Raw and Delirious albums about a million times and could recite the whole show with a pretty good imitation including the braying laugh. I didn't know who Eddie Murphy was but if a 17-year-old boy thinks something is funny it carries a lot of weight in the circle I rode with. There were about 12 boys that were there at the campfire listening and watching a recreation of a sketch comedy special and we were all laughing so hard that we were about to cry. When it was time to go to bed we all piled into the buss that had about 20 beds built into the walls and back and laid in our sleeping bags talking until 2 or 3 in the morning. I was the last one to go to sleep and when I was heading off to the land of Nod I had the distinct need to void my bladder. I also had the overwhelming dread of going out into the strange night. I compromised, and by compromised I mean caved in fear, and decided to try and sleep with a full bladder. In a not in anyway surprising turn of events I peed the bag or maybe it was peed the bus, anyway I urinated on my bedding. I woke up very early, I think it was around 5 a.m., I bundled up my bag and gear and walked the half mile home. As far as I know, and given the propensity of young boys to jump on the bully pile should the opportunity arise, I would have known; no one ever knew. When they asked me at church why I had left so early I told them I had a really bad headache and decided to go home. I think that was the last time I ever peed the bed at all, let alone on a group activity. Only took eleven years so that is not bad at all.