I Think That Hole Was There From Before


 Although they had a nice idyllic life that I coveted it didn't stop me from spreading a little of our families patented chaos wherever and whenever I could. Whenever someone was over at our house they got a heaping helping of it, if they wanted it or not but in the field the chaos came in doses and generally when I was able to suggest some ridiculous course of action because we had been left without adult supervision. It was on such a day that we were sliding down Quin's carpeted stairs which was not that crazy as far as those things go and we had actually done it before. Where it got crazy was that I applied the full engineering power of my young mind to deliver greater speed. The main issue with building speed was that the stairs were built so that at the end of their fourteen tread decent the terminated first into a three foot landing and then into a wall. We had started the sliding using sleeping bags but I felt that the flexible cloth bag was leaving to much gravitational acceleration on the table. I started to work out a plan whereby our vehicle would have enough rigidity to span at least two steps so we could eliminate the energy wasting bumping. The physics was sound but there are times when it is better to have an understanding of all the consequences and not just the considerations of the proximal problem. Maybe I was a little like Robert_Oppenheimer in that regard, very little like him, very very little. Anyway, I went outside and found a two-by-four that was four feet long and with a saw I rounded the front making a passable if thin ski. After I had my ski I set about making it faster by nailing a two foot wide piece of cardboard to the bottom. Then I nailed two boards crosswise to make some nice seats. It was truly a engineering wonder built for speed at all costs. We went back in to give it a test run which I did all alone with my feet out in front to break my decent before I hit the wall. It was fast and smooth and descended at a magnificent rate. It was all I could do to stop myself as I came to the bottom. Bolstered by the success of my brilliant design I invited my friend and his little brother on the next trip down. My friend sat on the back rung seat, I sat on the front and his little brother, about four at the time, had to sit on my lap so he was in the lead. We balanced on the seats and Quin put his feet up on the cardboard and I butt scooted us to the stair-top precipice and we were off. Success can be measured in many ways, in the sense that we descended the stairs faster than ever before the ride was a great success. By the criteria that no one's head went through the wall at the bottom of the stairs I would have to, in all fairness, admit it was less then perfect. When I applied the breaks at the end of the ride I had failed to calculate the extra passengers and Quin ran into me and his little brother flew forward off my lap and out of my arms and his head penetrated the sheet rock wall in a perfect circle. I thought he was going to be badly injured but he just pulled his head out, which was mercifully unmarked, and cried a little out of shock more than pain. We had dodged a bullet in avoiding maiming a little boy but we were still left with the problem of a six inch round hole in the wall about eighteen inches off the ground. We masterfully covered our sin with a poster of a Lamborghini that we taped over the hole. We thought we were free and clear because at that age we failed to reason out that his mom or dad would most likely find it extremely odd that there was a poster on the wall where it didn't belong that was mounted six inches off the ground. Finding such a placement curious they may preform the rudimentary investigation required to see that it was there to cover a hole in the wall that was definitely not there when they left the house. I don't know exactly how it played out because I once again took the better part of valor and discretion-ed my way back home with all possible haste. The ruse was uncovered fairly quickly and I was not invited to be at my friends house when parents were gone ever again. Honestly, that was not a bad decision and I didn't begrudge them their judgment.