A Survivor Among Us

 I generally try and keep peoples names out of my blog in case they would rather not be implicated in my crimes against good sense. This post is an exception because the girl is quite public and nationally known for what happened to her. When we were divided up into our groups they just did it in more or less a round robin fashion and each student got placed randomly-ish. By that random grouping I was placed with the sister of the girl I met at another camp across the state and with a young lady named Yvette Rodier. She was beautiful, smart and cool which made her the focus of lots of proto-masculine showing off and wooing. Liberated by the knowledge that my new girlfriend's sister was with us at every moment I was spared the obligatory flirting that I was generally compelled to do by my chemically sodden teenage brain. I was then free just to hang out with and be friends with the rest of the girls there and that was nice to have girls that were truly my friends that were not being classed as family, friend-pre-conquest, friend-too-ugly, or - God forbid – post-conquest-bridge-burned. After I hit puberty I think those were the only categories that I had for women. I know it is shallow and sad but if you have never been a teenage boy trying to navigate the treacherous internal world foisted upon you by hormones then pump your judgmental breaks. The kids in our group got to be pretty good friends and spent free time as well as structured time together. I will tell you a little more about some of our experiences in prison and whatnot in the next post but what is important to know here is that we were good friends and then camp ended and we went our separate ways promising to always be friends and too always keep in touch in the sincere and fervent manner of summer campers the world over. As per the same tradition we didn't stay in touch. I saw her one more time at a debate tournament and then I finished me senior year, graduated, went to college and was coming home from classes walking through the living room where my roommates had the news on and heard her name out of the corner of my ear-balls and I stopped and asked why she was on the news. They said her boyfriend and her had been up at a lake and an escaped convict came up to them randomly and shot her boyfriend to death and had shot her many times but she was still alive. I was terrified for her, sick and sad. In those days it was so hard to get additional information on a story and the papers were not coming out with more info until the next day. I went to my room and cried a little and prayed fervently that she would be okay. I was too nervous to sleep very well but there was literally nothing I could do to help so I walked around the streets until the police told me to go hole about 2 in the morning. My girlfriend at the time was in my first class in the morning and as we were going to class I told her that a friend of mine was shot several times and was in the hospital but I didn't know if she was going to be okay. She waited for what she thought was enough time to be respectful of the gravely injured woman to ask me if I had been dating her or if I had a thing for her because I seemed more upset then I should be. I told her to go to hell and left class and went home to sleep. Yvette lived and now is a lawyer and victims rights advocate and I have never seen her in person since. 
Her Story.