Some Leading On Goes On

 After I went home some leading on went on and I may have been somewhat responsible for that. To be fair, that 'somewhat' up there on the last line should most likely read 'totally'. The problem I had was that I really liked the feeling of being wanted and I assumed that there would be no harm in keeping up a long distance relationship for a bit and enjoy the attention. To be clear, as an adult I realize that this was a horribly egocentric thing to do and to this day feel bad for what a jerk move it was. I do that a lot. Well, now that the mea culpa's have been mea culpa-ed I can get back to what it was I did wrong. It started with a letter from my southern love interest. I responded in a way that any sensible person would interpret as an escalation of the romantic feeling which, I think at the time, I really meant. I was even making plans for a return trip to Florida to see her. The letters got more intimate and more regular. I should have done the mature thing and told her that it was probably not practical for us to keep up an exclusive relationship but if the opportunity for either of us to move a little closer we might start from there. What I did was keep the fires burning until the letters slowed to a trickle. Things were left unresolved until she came out to visit some people and me in Utah the next summer. We talked and decided to go rock climbing I didn't tell her even at that last chance for dignity that I had a girlfriend and when I showed up to meet her in a halfway parking lot and I got out of my car with my girlfriend and that was when she realized what she should have been told. We did go climbing still but there was an understandably chilly feel to the activity and I felt like a huge idiot for letting this thing go unresolved for so long. We parted ways and have spoken again. Better for her to not associate with people like me anyway.