Floridians

My dad's family was from Florida, not fun Florida – swamp Florida. It is a strange place which is rotting into the ground and the infrastructure and social conventions seem like they got frozen some time in the ambiguous past. Even at night the heat and humidity is oppressive. The huge sounds of the bugs from the swamp is deafening and barely masks the 'Deliverance' banjos that seem to echo in the steamy darkness. Most of the family had moved out west permanently, intermittently, or occasionally but there was a core of the faithful that maintain a base of operations. One of the families that had moved out to Utah for most of my life had moved back for a couple of years and that summer before my senior year my sister and I flew out for a ten day or so visit. It was the first time that I flew anywhere by myself and in charge of my little sister to boot. We made it just fine and my aunt was waiting at the airport in a minivan with two of my cousins in tow. The oldest cousin from that family was a boy six months younger than me and a foot taller. After we got into the van with our luggage my cousin started talking to me about some of the people of color that I may have noticed here in Florida that I may not have noticed in Utah. He started rattling off a rather impressive, for its width and breadth, list of rude or common nicknames for African-Americans. I didn't really know what to say but my aunt bailed me out by telling him that was inappropriate and we should never repeat such terms. He lightly argued that he was only informing me what I might hear in the wild from people not as classy as us. She told him to shut up nonetheless. We got to their house and settled in got to know everyone again and met some of their intriguing lady friends. We decided to head off into the night to play some racquetball and that almost cost us, if not our lives, some major inconvenience.