Horse Breaker

 Okay, now horses and I have had a spotty history. I like them just fine and think they are just fine they just have some deep and abiding need to try and murder me. When I was four I had a Shetlandpony try and assassinate me and when I was 13 a friend's horse scraped me off on a fence and cut my leg pretty good. When the beauty queen girl called and asked me to come over for a date and she had horse ride in mind I was ready to go with the caveat that I was not lucky in equestrian pursuits. She laughed and said I would be fine, she was an excellent rider and her horse was very well behaved. Lies, all lies. I drove down and we got saddled up and on the road and all was well, some beautiful weather and great company and the horse was really good. We rode to a local pond had a picnic, a nice stroll and chat. When the time had come for us to go we remounted our horses and were walking back at a leisurely pace when my horse reared up and I slid off the back and down to the ground badly spraining my ankle. The horse bolted away and started limping. My date rode over to see what was wrong with the horse and determined that he had somehow split his hoof and was in lots of pain. She came back and picked me up and We slowly walked the other horse home as we went tandem. I was in quite a bit of pain and felt really badly about the horse. We got back and my date's dad took a look at the hoof in question and determined that the horse and not been shod properly and when he stepped on a rock it had split the nail. He glued it back together and wrapped it up and called the vet to come and have a look. I stood around awkwardly expressing my sympathy through dumb looks until I knew the horse was okay and then I excused myself to go and do some home doctoring on my badly sprained ankle. I said goodbye my date and restrained myself from telling her so about me and my horse luck. She was more worried about the horse then seeing me off so I walked myself to the car and drove home. I called later to check on the horse and she said it was fine. We talked obligatorily for a few minutes but something had changed and we never went on another date. I saw her one more time years later and she had done well for herself. more power to her.