Of Journals and Jam Bands

As I got reacquainted with my short lost cousins it became evident that we were living in very different realities. The cousin closest in age to me had an odd and time consuming hobby which was hilarious. He was keeping an imaginary journal in the persona of one of his goofy neighbors. He would write comical musings that he imagined that kid would have and as I remember the project was quite extensive stretching over several notebooks. That was some insane dedication to a joke. The next difference was that my cousin was very tall and was actually on the basketball team for his high school which contrasted with my perpetually being cut from the tryout process. On a team of mostly black kids my cousin joked that he was the token white guy. The most dramatic difference in our lives and culture was probably that instead of mocking the band a venerable and cherished tradition in my school, they actually thought it was cool. Whoa. They talked about band in practical terms, they told stories about band and had friends over to jam a little bit on band instruments. I am not talking about the universally cool jamming instruments, such as the guitar, lute, lyre, bass and drums. I am talking about horns. I am absolutely not musically talented and this strange and wondrous paradigm shift was creating internal conflict as a struggled to not try and give into my culture imperative to make fun of the band and what just about everyone called 'band fags'. I just had to accept that we were just a little more advanced as a culture out west and like an anthropologist visiting the deepest jungles of Brazil and encountering the isolated and backwards natives living at one with nature - I needed to pity them not mock them. I think I was polite and didn't make fun of anyone's band related skill, desires, or aspirations and chalked up the behavior to a certain deep swamp delirium brought on by the heat, humidity and the incessant drone of insects.