Graduation and Segregation

There was a casual racism in the town I grew up in that allowed for jokes and name calling but I never saw any kind of segregation or violence. That could have been because there were only really two races and the non-white race, Hispanic, was segregated. There was one black girl in our school and a girl I thought was black that turned out to be Indian the from India kind. Maybe we were not that racist because it was not all that possible. Now is the part where I establish myself as not-racist legit – My best friend in elementary school was Mexican. Sweet, now I am beyond reproach right? I also thought that there were some cute Hispanic girls so there is that. I establish a general ignorance about race relations in the United States because it so thoroughly blew my mind the constant humming of racial tension that was just under the surface. My cousin's friend that I thought was cute was graduating as Valedictorian or Salutatorian and was speaking at her graduation so we all went. She read Oh, the Places You'll Go!' by Dr. Seuss, which has since become required by law to be read at graduation as a right of passage.
It is not a bad book for graduation the first 13 times you hear it and then you start to think maybe people are just mailing it in. 
 At the time I had never been to a graduation and thought it was a pretty cool thing to do. That was not the thing that drew my attentions however, it was the fact that in this high school gym filled with maybe couple thousand people there was no one sitting out of their de facto race section. I had never seen anything like it a bleacher full of black families, a little gap and the Hispanics and then the white families made up the rest. I searched the crowd and didn't see one person out of place. I commented on it and my aunt, who is southern proud, said that was not racist it was just where people felt most comfortable sitting. I wondered aloud then what would happen if a black family went and sat in the middle of the white section. She said they could go sit wherever they pleased. That I thought may be have been a lie. On my trip I got to see a couple other indications that miscegenation may not be as free and easy as she claimed.