Rock Climbing Special Almost Kills the Crew


 As part of my process of worming my way onto the closed circuit announcements I offered to take the camera crew rock climbing and rappelling to impress them. They took me up on the offer and we were off and up the canyon with too many people and the school's official video camera safely in the hands of the AV club. The general rule with dangerous things is that people should know what they are doing or be closely supervised but most of the crew had never done any climbing or rappelling and the expertise was spread much too thin but I was to excited about impressing the older kids and I didn't reign in the mayhem and luckily no one died, not that we didn't try. We had set up a rappel on a wall that afforded a couple of camera angles. It was not a safe wall and there were lots of fairly good sized loose rocks at the top that required a careful start to the rappel to make sure that none were dislodged to fall on the rappeler and the spectators. The first couple down paid careful attention to keep the rocks from falling but then there was a kid, whose name I cannot remember, decided to go commando – face down – and throw caution to the wind to impress the crowd and camera. His rappel went okay then he landed, stood up part way and a rock the size of the softball that had jostled loose with his rappel came within inches of hitting him in the head and instead hit him squarely in the back after falling fifty feet. He dropped to his knees wheezing and struggling for breath. Everyone ran over to see if he was going to die and he rolled to his back writhing from the pain. He pulled up his shirt and we saw a rather rough looking welt and red spot that was going to be a bruise soon and for a while. I was really scared that he was going to be badly hurt and I kept thinking about what would have happened if it would have struck his head. I was sick with the idea of killing someone and that shocked some sense into me so I climbed up and took down the rope and told everyone we were going to have to call it a day. It was not the last time someone would almost die climbing with me and not even the last time someone would be badly hurt by a rock that fell on them because they forgot to clear the rope before they rappelled but live and don't learn that is what I say.