Picking Up Parking Lot Girls


 One day when my friends and I should have been in class we were tooling around the parking lot instead. The bell had rang so we were going to head back in and go to the next class when we we stopped by a couple of strangers in a beater of a car. I had been told never to talk to stranger in a car because they will kidnap you but these strangers were pretty good looking girls so I decided to relax my caution just a touch and see if they might kidnap me and, God willing, perhaps molest me. It was evident pretty early on that these girls had one thing on their mind, and disappointingly it was getting directions back to the freeway so that they could go home. Not every random encounter ends in a fling, this one had to simmer. We gave them directions but also got their phone numbers so we could chat them up at a distance. Back in the pre-cell phone days we had to all talk on the same land line on different phones or do some party line action. I did not have party line so a friend and I got on the portable and corded phone and dialed up the mysterious strangers. The beautiful thing about hormonal motivation is the prospect of calling a complete stranger with no plan about what to talk about seemed like a reasonable undertaking. I dialed, Delta the town an hour away where the girls hailed from and the cute blonde girl answered. She said she had been hoping we would call and asked which one I was when I described myself she seemed disappointed and asked if the tall one of my friends was there. He was, and I was not impressed with here taste in men. My main problem I think is that I have a high voice and an abrasive manner that usually has a polarizing effect on people who know me. I think calling it polarizing might give the impression that my personality sorts out people roughly equally into like and dislike camps. I have checked the numbers and I think the evidence shows that I am more of an acquired taste and some people don't have the intestinal fortitude to stick out the rather rigorous initiation phase of being my friend. After I was spurned in favor of my deeper voiced, taller friend I became even less nice. If you are familiar at all with girls you know that many of them are inexplicably drawn to jerks, she happened to be one of them and the change of tactic drew her in. When we made plans to meet up with her and her friends at a dance at a town that roughly split the distance she was obviously swayed in her preference and spent the night dancing with me and laughing at my jokes. I guess that I had been incorrect in my original assessment about her defective taste in men. See? I can admit when I was wrong.