A Long Way to Go

 After our disastrously boring party date and one more rather sisterly kiss from my would be girlfriend I decided that a two hour drive out to the boonies was a little far to be driving for less action than I could get more locally. Hypothetically, of course, but why let the fact that I didn't have a better option stop me from burning this particular bridge. I did the decent and manly thing and stopped returning my friend's calls until after a week or two she got the hint and stopped calling. She typed me a letter and sent back a school ID card she had apparently stolen from me so she could have a picture of me. She wrote some of the usual things, she asked what I was up to, asked how I was doing, asked if I was still hanging out with the friends that I was with when we met. Then she got to the part that made me feel guilty, she said she was sorry she didn't live up to my expectations and that she was sorry she hurried me out of the house that morning I had to sleep over. She said she should have went with me somewhere after the kid's parents got home but she was so nervous and tired that she didn't know what to do. She said she was sorry for taking my student ID but that she didn't have any other picture of me and she would like it if I would send her a picture back in exchange. She reminded me that I had promised to send her a picture and write her a poem and she hoped that I would keep that promise. She wrote that she was sorry for writing such a short and weird letter but that she had, and I quote, '. . .a dole and borring life.' She ended the letter, “I miss you.” Then she signed off – Love Always Your Most Dedicated, and Obligated Fan and then typed her name. When I read her letter I was overcome with shame for what I turd I was but I didn't call her back and I didn't write her a letter. I am no good at telling people bad news and I knew if I talked to her I would try and cheer her up by asking her out again and just make it harder for both of us. I never heard from her again.