Breaker One Nine


 There was a time when the citizens band radio ruled the airwaves, and that was significantly before my time. I was first introduced to the magic of the CB by movies that glamorized the lives and exploits of that great American king of the open road – the trucker. America went through a phase there for a bit when all of the male sex symbols were either driving truck in movies or helping truck drivers to succeed with the help of that most magical of radios and its power of two way communication. When I was ten or so my brother and I happened upon a glossary of CB slang that had some hilarious terms that my brother and I immediately incorporated the terminology into our vocabulary. Here are some of the highlights:
Double Nickle: Fifty-Five Miles Per Hour
Bean Store: A Roadside Restaurant
Motion Potion: Gasoline
Hammer Down: Drive Fast
10-4: Yes
There were many more but I cannot remember them. We would string together nonsense sentences of a gaggle of trucker slang like so, “Hey now, hammer down a bean store double nickle 10-4 good buddy, come back.” That kind of humor really worked for us and we would say stuff like that every time we got on or a round a CB. This prelude was to set the stage for the technological retro phase that several of my friends got into in high school when we rediscovered the magic of the citizens band and the mischief it could cause. And it did.