Fellow Long Hairs Engaged In A Battle of Wits


 After We hit it off at a free for all dance my new romantic interest from Delta invited me to come with her to a date dance at her school. I agreed because I thought it might be a good opportunity for some sexy time and the upshot of having a distant girlfriend is that you can have a local one as well and no one will ever know. What I forgot about was the territorial pissing of the local hillbillies and their shriveled and under-developed senses of humor. On date dances it was usual to go as a group, do an activity, go to dinner, go to the dance, and then do an after activity. Quite a commitment of time and money and there is no guarantee you will have fun or like your date's friends and their even more distantly associated boyfriends. I thought it would be okay and I was wrong. I drove down in the early afternoon in my mom's Toyota Tercel wagon which is basically the ugliest car ever produced in the history of the world. When I rolled up my date came out and gave me a hug and was generally pretty cuddly which I took as a good sign. I met her mom and dad and then she rode with me to meet her friends to go ride some ATV's. We got to her friend's boyfriend's house and the mood got downright chilly when I walked in. I might mention that I had long hair at this point in my life and in deep hillbilly country long hair was supposed to be incorporated into a nice well permed mullet not some faggy surfer look. While we waited for the rest of the couples a few of the guys bolstered in their courage by their numbers started to make louder and louder asides about how I looked like some kind of skater queer and that my car was also homosexual. It seemed like they were hoping to start a fight and I did not like my odds. The trick to avoiding fights when you are a smart ass is to not look like you want to avoid the fight, bullies are easily spooked by confidence. Truth be told not many people really want to fight they just want to stand over someone and bark so that heir friends can see how tough they are. I took the offensive and walked up to the three boys making the asides and introduced myself and acted like I never heard there stage whispered insults. They had no idea what to do when directly confronted and started to squirm and fidget as I engaged them in some small talk. As a subtle jab about the long hair double standard I asked the ring leader about his ramen noodle looking luxuriantly shiny mullet if it was naturally curly or a perm. 
Seriously, his hair looked exactly like this but less delicious.
He was caught off guard and replied that it was a perm. I pretended to be fascinated that guys got perms and followed up with a question about weather he went to the salon for that or if his mom did it. I also asked how often it needed to be touched up to remain in top form. He was at a complete loss seeing that he was not on the gay looking hair high ground and was clearly uncomfortable with the tack this conversation was taking. His two friends were obviously the small fish and with their leader being interrogated about beauty regimens they became so uncomfortable that they just laughed uncomfortably and made weak jokes about how it was funny that he got perms from his mom. They lost interest in the conversation and wandered off and left me to my own devices to chat up the ladies as we waited, in vain as it turned out, for the rest of the crew to show up for the ride. Then we went to dinner.