Skating Through Life to The Spirit in Skies


 There were a couple of girls that we got hooked up with through that Hispanic kid but I cannot remember the details. What I do remember is setting up a group date for everyone which was focused around roller skating at the local relic of a rink. Roller blade were the thing by then and the were more EXTREME! Then the traditional wussy four wheeled model of lameness. The rink is suited for children and the elderly to go in circles but to make it him and relevant to the teen crowd they included black lights and a fog machine and some sweet tunes. The effect was underwhelming unless you engaged in it too enthusiasticly and manufactured the fun from the rough raw materials. The problem we had was that these were cool girls who liked cool things and I was not cool and despite my best efforts at plugging into the 16 year-old mid nineties zeitgeist I was still doing lame things like trying to have goofy fun while engaging a little ironically enjoyed skating. They went and poopy-pantsed the venue and the skating on four wheel skates, like poor people would, and the fog and the everything about it. At first I was self conscious and trying to make them happy and then I just got angry and I decided that, screw them. I was twelve bucks into this debacle and I was going to milk every last dime our of our wooden oval and the oft replayed 'Spirit in the Sky'. With operation Moneysworth in full effect I started having some fun and it must have shamed at least one of the girls in to playing along because she came out and joined me for a couples skate. And if holding hands while waywardly skating in circles with a girl you just met doesn't float your boat then you have tired of life my friend.