A Coach By Any Other Middle Name


 There is a certain camaraderie that develops among men and boys as they spend endless hours together yoked in the common work of drafting. Even the weird, the stinky, and the tattle-tale kids are part of the in-class brotherhood that lends itself to a little more familiarity with our drafting coach then he showed towards the lowly first-year paper drafters. One day when we had our noses safely clear of even the smell of the grindstone we got to talking about middle names and we discovered that several of the boys actually went by their middle names or had funny ones . The question naturally arose about Coach’s middle name and he told us to guess and if any of us could guess it we would get some sort of prize which I cannot remember. We all gave it several shots and left school that day defeated in the quest. I came up with a devious plan over night and the next day in class I got out my drivers license and asked the other guys if they were all facing front in their drivers license. They all checked and said that they were. I asked if theirs all said 'MINOR' on the picture and to a man that was the case. With the ground work in place I asked Coach that if on an adult drivers license they had to face to the left so it was easy to identify minors from adults. Forgetting his wager about his middle name he told me his was a photo of him facing front and pulled it out to show me. I looked carefully and said, Thank-you Wesley, that is a good picture of you.” He realized his blunder and laughed and grabbed my arm to give it a good-natured punch and then told the other guys that I had won the challenge and paid whatever it was I earned. I was so proud of my trickery that I felt like the Great Brain and Encyclopedia Brown all mushed up together in to one awesome guy. No one else I talked to cared one bit about my triumph and I started to loose some of the enthusiasm I had for my remarkable wit. Not much but some.