Coaching With the Drafting Team


 After that first year on the paper drafting tables if you wanted to continue drafting you had to be accepted into the drafting program. It sounds prestigious but there was a practical upshot of there being only about 12 computers that were available for all of the advanced drafting classes. The teacher liked my work and my best friend and I were accepted in to the drafting 2 classes along with a few other kids from our hometown. After the core assignments were done, which didn't take long, it was complete and unfettered freedom to do what ever we wanted drafting related. I was drawing all sorts of personal fantasy projects like climbing carabiners, mountain bikes and funny stuff. Many of our other teachers were also coaches and likes to be called coach instead of mister and because the drafting teacher was so far from sporty as to be absurd I started calling him coach. It caught on with the other advanced drafting students and we all started calling him coach. He would protest saying he was not the coach of anything and I would tell him he was coach of the drafting team and that I was ready to be first string if he would just put me in during crunch time he would see I was ready. For a little while he complained about being called coach and then embraced it from the advanced drafting kids but one time I heard a beginning drafting student call him coach and he got chucked out of class. Most advanced drafting students had quite a few classes with coach and we would spend most of the day drawing or goofing of on the computers or just hanging out chatting about one thing or another while the first years were under strict rules and coach ran his side business out of the back.