Frau Doesn't Care About My Brain Damage


 When I beat the bell into class I had remembered to bring the tickets and program from the redemption play that I had actually attended even if I could not remember it. I gave her the material and she told me she would talk to me about the play after class. Whoops, that might be the flaw in my plan, I could not answer any but the most basic questions about the production. I knew it was at the community college and that it had a sign in the hall in front of the theater and there was a narrator. Beyond that I was a little more than fuzzy. I tried to head out quickly like I had forgotten to stop and talk to the Frau she caught me and had me come into her office to discuss my extra credit. She asked me to thumbnail the play and the characters, normally something I could have done with even a perfunctory viewing but I had no idea. I started telling her about my traumatic brain injury and my long night and my trip to the ER and she was unmoved. She lectured me on integrity and the need for me to follow through on my commitments. I explained to her again I was not lying I had gone to the play but I had suffered a concussion. She said that she couldn't give me credit for going if I couldn't remember it but that she did reserve the right to change someone's grade if she thought that they deserved a better because of extenuating circumstances. She didn't explain her criteria for what she thought a deserving person should have demonstrated but I must have. When I got my final grades for the semester I had and A and my citizenship grade was back from a extracurricular killing 'U' (for unsatisfactory) to an 'S'. I didn't see much of her after I left her class but I heard she got very sick and had to stop teaching. It is too bad because she was from the old school where brutality was acceptable in critiques and forgiveness was a rare treat.