My Sister Shaves Her Head and Drops Out


 After my sister moved back into the neighborhood she started to develop a much more eccentric personal style. While she was up in Montana with her boy friend and his friends they all decided to shave their heads and my sister got in on that action. She shaved her head to the skull in a move that for most girls would make them stand out in a crowd and she was no exception. The moment she arrived back at school after her summer sabbatical she was the most interesting thing in our school. Everyone knew about her shaving her head and asked me about it all day long for the first day or two. In our culture it seems that only cancer and fighting aliens are appropriate reasons for a woman to not have hair so a voluntarily shorn woman short circuited the collective brains of the school. One day when she called me in the morning to get a ride to school I dropped by to pick her up and in addition to her shaved head she had added a pair of bright orange pants to the attention grabbing ensemble that had become her style. I remember walking into school with her quite late and being all alone in the hall way that was brightly lit compared to the gathering gloom outside. She told me that after basketball tryouts if she didn't make the team she was going to drop out of school. She had played for two years on the school team and it was the one anchor she had left into the button down small town life. I got a sick feeling in my stomach when she said that because I knew that besides running away the worst thing a kid could do for their quality of life was to drop out. Well, I guess that or get pregnant which was an option for her as well I guess. I sincerely was hoping and praying that she would make the team and the regimentation would help her straiten up and fly right and my hope of hopes was that she would reconcile with my parents and maybe even move back in. I wished he luck and didn't see her again for a week or so when she told me that she had to move out of the first neighbors house and into another's. She told me that she hadn't made the team and that she was dropping out and going to work at a local fast food restaurant full time. We hung out a little bit on and off but mostly off and I would only see her every couple of weeks or months until things got really bad for her and she had to move away to a work camp.