The Depeche Mode

 At the end of the school year a friend of mine had bought three tickets to Depeche Mode at an outdoor amphitheater, the same one that I watched Steve Miller Band at as it happened. He had a falling out with the girlfriend he was going to take and he didn't want to go because Depeche Mode reminded him of her and he gave me the tickets for free. I asked a couple of my senior friends to go with me and we headed up there on the night of their senior party. I cannot remember who opened but no one stood up and it was pretty banal euro-pop. When arrived we had picked a spot and pulled up next to a little group of goth-lite girls. They were of the sort that had incorporated all of the elements of the style that make a girl look dangerous and sexy without any of the over the top stuff that only serves to spoil something nice. I had my eye on a girl who was wearing that hooker inspired short skirt and long stocking look with buckle up boots. She was obviously really into the concert scene and was having some nice unaffected and uninhibited fun with her friends. As the opener left and we were waiting for the main show I tried to get my shy senior friends to join me in little flirting and picking up but the chickened out and declined the offer. I went all lobo solo and struck up a little chat about the hotties bad-a boots. Girls, as a rule, like two things, compliments and compliments – in that order. All but the strongest minded of girls as helpless as baby kittens when they are flattered about their choice in clothes. She was no exception and by the time Depeche Mode was doing their thing she was over on our blanket dancing with me. My senior friends were looking at me with a mixture of awe and disbelief and wanted one for themselves but were too shy to ask her friends to come over. They migrated over just a little by the time the show was wrapping up but my friends were still to shy to dance with them. I like Depeche Mode okay, I don't seek their music out but I don't start looking for the exits when it comes on either but having a cute girl dancing in front of me with her hands in a backwards loop over my neck where I could smell her nice perfume definitely improved the situation. At the end of the encore I was cuddled up close in a standing spoon dance and went in for a little ear kiss. She laid back into me and turned her head around for a regular lip kiss and I was okay with that. Very okay. The walk out lights came up and my friends were in a hurry to head back to town to get to their senior all-night party and I was hoping to see what else my new friend had in mind. I was trying to talk to her and see where she lived or get her number or something and somehow in the exchange she mentioned that she lived just off campus at the U. She looked about my age so I was surprised to learn she was a college girl. She asked where I went to school and I admitted I was in high school. She laughed a little and blushed a little and then gave me a little chaste kiss on the cheek and told me I was quite the little lover boy and maybe we could meet up someday when I was older. We went our separate ways and when we were driving home my friends marveled at my pickup skills while I just cursed my bad luck and my missed opportunity to lie a little and see what an older girlfriend was all about. My friends go tot their party and I went home alone.