I Don't Take The ASVAB

 A few weeks after the Steve Miller band show ended better than I expected all of the juniors at our school were supposed to take the ASVAB test. The ASVAB is a military aptitude test which the government uses to find out which kids would be best at killing people, helping get supplies to a person needing to kill someone, or getting someone else to kill someone. My problem was that I was late that morning and I had also forgotten that the test was that day. Additionally, I was not remotely interested in plunging into the MIS unless they offered me a free trip to a leadership camp with girls, which they actually got around to doing a little later. I turned up just in time to be told that I was being locked out of the test with none other than the girl that I had a crush on since eigth grade. We were told to go away and so we did. We decided to go on a drive in my car up the canyon, over the top and down the other side on a road called the Nebo loop. It was late fall and it was beautiful. She sat on the bench seat with me closer than the outside seat but not cuddly close and I was wondering what a spacing like that might indicate. We talked about school and my sister who had been dating her brother when she ran away and shaved her head. We talked about how she had recently broken up with her boyfriend, a topic I was most interested in. As we drove I started to weigh the idea of making a move with this girl and maybe, just maybe, finally getting with the girl of my dreams. I don't know if it was wishful thinking or if it was actually happening but she seemed to be leaning in closer to me and laughing a bit more than usual at what I was saying. I was terrified. I wanted so badly to give a hand hold, or a cuddle, or even -should I dare – a kiss. I agonized and re-agonized because I could not bear the thought of rejection if I was misreading the situation. I tried to think of a smooth way to put it out there without risking outright rejection but she was the kind of girl who would only respect boldness, or so I thought. We had been driving for an hour when I stopped the car to pretend to look at some rocks that I thought might be good to climb. When I was done pretending some other reason to have stopped the car I got back in and we talked in the parked car for a bit while I tried to work up the courage to bust my move. She just seemed right on the borderline of maybe being into it and maybe not and I couldn't force myself to take the chance. I still deeply regret not even trying, who knows right, who knows? I guess I could just ask her now that we are both married and adults with nothing on the line what would have happened that fall day. But I am honestly still nervous that the answer might have been that she was not at all interested or even worse – that she had been. Maybe I will never know and maybe that is a good thing. She finally told me that she needed to be home by three to go to work and it would take about that much time to get back so I cranked up the car and drove out the bottom of the canyon in a town 20 miles from our high school and we talked all the way home. When we got to her house she gave me a hug, got out and said she had a really good time and that we should hang out more. We didn't, we stayed friends but I never came that close to even thinking about the possibility of making a move. She got a new boyfriend and I got a new girlfriend and the stars never aligned for us to be alone and single again. I may have done better on the military test and had less regrets about that.