Esoteric Disqualification Self Pity

 Towards the end of the school year debate starts to go into regional, and then state competition. I was really excited about going to compete at state because I had done so well all year long in debate ever since I figured out how to do it. I had won first or second at most of the tournaments so I thought I had more than a fighters chance to go on and make some noise at the next level. There was one little problem though, my coach made a mistake and the three of us on the team that would do well going forward all had to pay the price. At regional competition which would qualify us for state and national tournaments the three of us that had gone were all doing quite well. I had not lost a debate going into the round of the last eight. My friend grant was in the dramatic and humorous interpretation finals and the third kid was in two finals as well we were at the break they have between regular competition and the finals all feeling good and ready to conquer when our coach, visibly shaken, and the judge he had brought to represent our school came over to the corner of the hallway we were waiting in and told us they had some bad news. Every school was required to supply a judge, who had to be a high school graduate, in order to compete. We were short a judge with very little time to go so my debate coach enlisted a senior, mature beyond her years, to fill in. That was fine until one of the other debate coaches discovered that we had brought an illegal judge and she demanded that our team be disqualified and not allowed to compete in the finals. My coach had spent almost an hour arguing that we should not be punished because he made a mistake but they wouldn't let us go on and compete. We were then disqualified from that tournament and therefore the state and national tournaments as well. I was crushed and felt like crying and hating anyone I could blame. My coach and the defective judge looked so distraught that I couldn't bring myself to muster some rage and I just resigned myself to that fate. Another kid started crying so he took over that job and we all sat around wallowing in self pity and hating that other debate coach for being such a stickler for the rules. Our too young judge was a good friend of mine and she gave me a hug and apologized and I couldn't hate her or my coach they had made the effort to help us out and made a mistake they thought would be no big deal. And it shouldn't have been.