I Invent Nothing

 Growing up I always wanted to be one of those kids who goes to college when they are 12 and then go on to be physicists and discover the inner workings of the universe before the age of twenty. I did not achieve those lofty goals. I did get some books on physics which I didn't understand and I would lie to people who didn't know much about that kind of thing to make myself seem smarter than I was. One thing I did which was particularly lame was imagine the order of the universe like a completely ad hoc cosmologist and then draw pictures and math equations along with cryptic notes to create the illusion of deeply mystical and esoteric dabbling into the scientific occult. They were just props and had no relevance to reality or hidden workings of the world. I want to be clear that this was not when I was a ten year old with dreams bigger than my opportunities for learning. This was when I was 16 and definitely should have known better. I decided that based on some pictures I saw in the Scientific American in an article I didn't read that the universe was shaped like a torus and there was a huge glob of dark matter at its center which bent all light back in on itself. I also imagined that the dark matter created the motive force for all light in the universe. I drew a picture of a torus in LaserCad and looked up the generating equations and put them in there for good measure. I included a few cryptic notes and some hand drawn call outs to make it look official and like it was the product of tortured and misunderstood genius.
This is the shape of the universe for those of you who will not check.
 I could have very easily checked any of my premises but preferred to nurse my ego in my wholly fantasy world. The more embarrassing thing about it was that I would show people, mainly girls, these pages in my notebook and then give them a much too convoluted explanation and almost always they would be impressed with how smart I was and I liked that more then actually getting smarter. I remember one not where I wrote something close to this, “I have made an important discovery called the basic increase. . .”
Before I finish writing what I wrote back then I need to tell you that my ego is still so tied up in being smart that even writing about my past pretentious mistakes is a struggle. I have been thinking of ways to make it not seem so desperately lame but there is no way – onward.
Back to what I wrote – After I named my invention in a hand drawn note I wrote out this equation y=x2 and then drew a graph of that equation and made some random notes about how important this discovery was in the understanding of the universe.

Even if you are not familiar with basic algebra or grade school cosmology it should not be hard to see I had invented nothing. That equation was named a square function probably a couple of thousand years before I was born. Good work genius.