More Debate

 After the first attempt at debate where I went in blind and confused I figured out what to do and when we got our next topic I wrote my own case. Cases would be more like it because you have to write an affirmative and negative case for each topic. With my newly minted brief in hand I went into my second debate with much more confidence. I knew all of the procedures and the slang so there would be no more having to ask the judges what exactly was supposed to say when I was asked something. During a debate competition there are also what are called speech events which include impromptu, extemporaneous and prepared speech competitions that run alternately with debate rounds so we were encouraged to try our hand at some of those at well. My natural hubris whispered in my ear that I would me amazing at any and all speech events. My hubris thought that was pretty funny after I crashed and burned. As it happens I was much better at debate, getting second place at my second tournament and in this one they only had the top one person get first place unlike the novice tournament where everyone won something. After the tournament they hand back all of your judges notes that they wrote during you presentations. I quickly discarded the positive reviews because those people were obviously already pretty smart and didn't need my scrutiny. The negative notes were almost always were in reference to me thinking I was funnier than I was and thinking I was smarter than I was. I got my feel-bads deeply hurt. I thought I was rolling there with some pretty funny jokes and the whole time I was crashing into the pits of comedy hell being consumed by my own lame antics that were evidently flammable for the sake of this now very convoluted sentence and metaphor. I went through all of the stages of grief, denial ( they wouldn't know funny if it jumped out of a drawer and bit them), anger ( I hope they get bit by vicious snakes somewhere in their home), bargaining ( how much for that sack of vipers you have there, my good man?), depression ( oh, great, they are non-venomous snakes, okay, figures, with my luck.) and acceptance ( I guess I will just have to hope they can feel how much I hate them.). I didn't take their advice and tone down my style so for the next ten tournaments I never did better than third in any speech event while I consistently got first or second in debate.