I Steal Gas

 In the olden days when you needed gas you would get gas and then pay for it after you had it in the tank. It was the honor system and it mostly worked except for the one major flaw in the system, you could just drive off. One night when I was taking the girlfriend I still had not found a way to break up with yet out to the movies I went and filled up the tank of my sporty two-door 1978 Ford Fairmont and then pulled up to the store to go in and pay and get some gum. I went in, used the bath room got a pack of gum, saw the time and realized I was almost late and there was a line so I put the gum back headed back out to the car and drove off to make the curtain in time. It is a good thing I rushed too because who would want to miss every horrifyingly badly acted second of a Claude Van Dam movie? When I dropped my girlfriend off I went to get a late night snack on my way home and when I went to pay I noticed I had way more money than I should have based on the amount I spent on the movie and gas. That is when it dawned on me that I had never paid for my gas and I got very worried. I imagined that after I drove off the old lady running the till at the gas station was on the phone to the cops giving them my plat number and description and they were now on the lookout for a gas stealer that fit my description. I got very nervous because all I could say was that I forgot to pay, which was technically true, but the most obvious lie in the history of police work. I drove home on the back roads and spent a fitful night thinking about what kind of consequences I might face when I was arrested. I am too pretty for prison. The next morning I rode my bike back to the gas station just in case they were looking for the car. I went inside and looked at the list of people they kept on the register that were wanted for driving off. I was not on it and neither was my car. I was a little relived but then I had to decide to just walk away or do the right thing and pay. I actually walked out and had gotten on my bike ready to complete the theft and had a twinge of what may have been guilt or it could have a little fear that I was just not on the list yet and I was still under the gun. Either way I went back in and told them that I accidentally drove off without paying. The girl that was at the till was a bit of an idiot and was not aware of how to call up what I had not paid and said that if I paid her then her till would be off and so I should just go. Fair enough. It was not long after that all of the gas stations switched to prepay making it lots harder to steal gas.