Combining Cowardice and Douchebaggery

 I considered how to write this post to put me, if not in a positive light, at least in one that made me look slightly less like a total butt hole. I have decided that there is no way to accomplish this with any reasonable facsimile of veracity and so I resign myself to telling it like it was and hoping time has healed all wounds. I have told you about my ongoing struggle to find a way to break things off with the girl I was not really that interested in and what tipped the scales was when I thought I may have found a viable replacement. That and my friends had starting making fun of me for going out with her even going so far as to make up pun based variations on her surname that they took pains to repeat just two times; often and more often. When I thought I might have a shot at a girl I liked better that may have been more impressive to my friends I did the honorable thing and explained the situation in a calm and mature manner and did my best not to hurt her feelings. Not really, but that is definitely what I should have done but I am a coward and a jerk and so when I wanted out I did that most turdish of breakups and just stopped calling her and not returning her calls. I timed this to happen over Thanksgiving break so I would have a solid week for her to hopefully get the hint and not see me at school and make it awkward for me. After about five days her best friend managed to get me on the phone under false pretenses and chewed me out and I didn't even argue because I knew she was right but I was also committed to ending this one way or another so I didn't relent. After six weeks it was becoming apparent that what I thought was a sure thing with this other girl was more like a misunderstanding and I was left without either, which served me right. What I did next was the lowest of the low. When I got lonely for a little female companionship I called up my recently ex-ed girlfriend, tried to act like nothing had happened and asked if she wanted to go out. Thankfully, I was rebuffed by the ex who had enough dignity to tell me to get bent. She even laughed at me and asked me if I was serious. That, I know, is generally a rhetorical question but she sounded like she wanted to know so I told her I was serious and she laughed again told me I was an a-hole and hung up. I sat in our laundry room with the corded kid's phone resting against my head and waited for the dead line tone to come on. I felt sorry for myself because that is just how narcissistic I was. I hung up the phone and went for a little poopy pants pity party game of one-on-none at the church until they kicked me out. I didn't really see my ex much anymore because we ran in different circles. The next time I talked to her was about a year later when I was with a new girlfriend and my sister who was down for a visit and we stopped by a greasy spoon restaurant where she happened to be working the window. She knew my sister from work, she had been in dance with my current girlfriend and she knew me from when I was a massive jerk to her. She was super nice and said hi to us all and told us she had some great news – she was engaged to be married when she graduated and she showed us the ring which was too big for her finger because it had not yet been fitted. We all told her congratulations and we drove off with our shakes. When we were back on the rode my sister and girlfriend both laughed at me and made fun of me for ever dating that girl and I said I thought she was nice and I regretted nothing. That was a lie to save face, I regretted being such a tool and I was glad she was with someone who appreciated her.