We Roll Over and Over


 My dad decided to go into the appliance sales businesses when I was in sixth grade and it was a bootstrap operation that involved my mom being a runner. We lived about 60 miles from a major city and the distributor would ship the appliances there for much less and then we would pick them up there and take them down to our showroom that was rented from a local hardware store. We had been using a pickup truck but that could only hold about two machines which was not very efficient so my dad build a special rack that allowed for six units at a time. I loaded up with my mom to go on the maiden voyage and the trip up went very well the new rig loaded up perfectly and we started driving home. My mom was a napper, a really regular napper who took a nap almost every day. It was warm day and as we drove back my mom started getting drowsy and told me to put on my seat belt because she was worried about getting in a wreck. We had driven about halfway home and I went to sleep because I was so tired. In a few minutes after I went to sleep I was ripped side to side and the cab filled with dirt and debris flying around I looked out the window and saw dirt and then sky and then dirt and then sky and then the truck came to rest. I looked over and saw my mom bleeding from her mouth and I was trying to figure out what was going on. A man ran up and opened my mom's door and asked if she was okay and then he noticed that there was flame coming from underneath the hood of the truck and he pulled my mother out and then came and got me away from the truck in case it was going to start on fire. We moved back and sat down on the side of the road and started crying and hugging each other. The police, ambulance and firetruck came and so did a reporter from the newspaper. We got checked out and nothing looked broken or badly injured but my mom had hit her face on the steering wheel and bit through her lip. My dad was contacted and he came quickly and was the sweetest I ever remembered him being in my whole life. He was not worried one bit about the truck or the appliances and that had been a concern to me I was thinking they would all be ruined and cost us so much money and he was just worried about my mother and I's well being. The man who helped us out of the truck said that we had drifted off the road at about 70 miles per hour and then when my mom noticed she corrected to hard on the soft dirt and we started to roll. The appliance rack broke off on the first tumble and then we rolled four or five more times. We landed on the tires and the truck still ran. To this day my dad denies that we rolled over multiple times but The people who were there thought s, I was in the cab and I know so but evidence is not entirely convincing for my dad. I rode with my mom to the hospital and her lip was sown back together and still has the scar. We got our picture in the paper with a quote from my mom that there were customers waiting for their appliances. I got nothing but some emotional trauma, bruises from the seat belt and a great story.