Finishing Math Early


I didn't go to school for fourth grade but I did go back for fifth. I had been doing a lot of math on my own not as any part of a structured home school program but just because I liked math because I was good at it and it was fun to figure stuff out. And because I am a massive nerd. A massive nerd. Math had always come effortlessly to me and when I went back to school I was bored to death by math time. At the first of the year my teacher put a long division problem up on the board to show us what a really hard problem might look like. I asked if I could try and solve it and she allowed me to. I divided the twelve digit number by a three digit number all the was to the ground no cheating remainders, which I always hated. My teacher was impressed the other kids were just really bored. After that my teacher made copies of all of the math work for the whole year and let me do it as fast as I wanted during math time. As fact as I wanted was very fast and I was done in less than a week. Which then gave us another problem because I was even more bored now that I had finished all of the math so she got me the next two years of math and they took much longer as I tried to learn algebra on my own during math time. I got through the sixth grade curriculum and then was stuck on many of the pre-algebra concepts and she didn't have time to help me so I was allowed to spend the remaining math time for the rest of the year reading books in the library which was the sweetest reward of all. I could look at all of the coolest picture reference books without a single competitor and I was left alone which was where I wanted to be. Interestingly cruising through the math work neither garnered me many friends or social standing and may actually have contributed to my nerd status. I could never tell what I was doing wrong I thought those kids would be impressed, no accounting for taste I guess.