My Mom's Little Peccadillo.


 My sainted mother is in general a very pious woman. She is never lying, drinking, cheating, whoring, or stealing but for a while there, and by for a while I mean about a decade, she was getting in car wrecks a couple of times a year. Sometimes it was in the driveway hitting some of our other cars, or a neighbor's car who was foolish enough to park around her. Sometimes it was in parking lots, sometimes intersections. She was an equal opportunity destroyer she didn't have a preference for cars or truck American or imported, everything was on the menu. They were almost always small little accidents, with the exception of the one multiple rollover, and many times my dad would try and pay for the damage without involving the law and insurance companies to save all the extra costs of loosing a license or having premiums skyrocket. As a kid I just thought it was kind of funny and embarrassing that we were always having to stop and talk to the cops, and apologize and exchange insurance information. She even had a sense of humor about it and got a ;license plate cover that says, 'Been there, Hit that' which she considers a reference to multiple car wrecks and not the meaning of promiscuity almost everyone associates with the phase. When I look back as a responsible bill paying adult I cannot fathom why my dad was always so understanding and forgiving, I would have probably stopped buying replacement cars and paying repair bill on exactly the second accident. After the 90's she must have hit rock bottom, or maybe it was because she was down to two kids instead of six, maybe it was because she was done with school, no matter the reason as far as I know she hasn't hit another car in the new millennium, we should get her a sobriety chip.