Back to Home School for 6th Grade


Because public school had been such a resounding failure for me socially I was not really interested in going back to middle school. Middle school in my home town was a bit of a ripoff anyway it was just a single separate hall included in the elementary school and we had lockers for the books and supplies we didn't use that much. I stayed home for some home schooling which consisted of reading the World Book Encyclopedias. I used to think I was the only one who liked to do that but after seeing the massive popularity of Wikipedia I guess the world is just lousy with needs, geeks and dorks. I liked the World Book because they had lots of diagrams and pictures and also some step-by-step instructions for projects a young man could build relating to the topic. I was also reading a lot of the classics Tom Sawyer and then Huckleberry Finn, the Lord of the Flies, 1984, Brave New World, . I also read a ton of Erma Bombeck books that my mom loved and I read because they were sometimes funny but a lot lighter than the dystopian horrors that are classic. I spent most of my time building, improving and rebuilding forts. I was also a big fan of hybrid machines that I would make out of parts from my dad's appliance business. I built a microwave gun from a magnetron I had salvaged from a microwave. I had villainous fantasies about putting it in a nondescript box of some sort and leaving it on to cook all of the passersby. That thought actually scared me after I thought it down to its logical conclusion and I destroyed the gun so no one else would be able to turn it on. All in all just a lazy school year building my repertoire and savoir-faire (those are both words I learned that year).