It Might Have Been a Pipe Bomb


  My attempts at bomb making always turned out to be dud's or firecrackers but my brother was able to make a quite lethal little unit. We had found a way to get the more explosive smokeless powder to use in making our bombs – all we had to do was saw the butts off of shotgun shells and pour our the precious powder. That sounds like it is really stupid because it is. We were going through quite a few shells to get enough for our projects when they sell the stuff by the can full, just not to ten and eight year-olds for some reason. Matt had devised a technique to get a really big explosion by drilling a fuse hole in the side of a pipe and then filling the pipe with powder. Then he epoxied two quarters onto the ends of the pipe and we were in business. We didn't realize it but Matt had actually built a quite lethal device. For safety's sake we put it up on the roof of the house to light it because I had read in a book about the time Tom Cruise tried to kill Hitler that a bomb on a table would not explode downward very well and expand across the plane of the table top. Sounded good and safe and what is a roof but one big table top? We put it up on the roof of the front shot lit the fuse and ran behind the mobile home. When it exploded it was really, really, loud with a boom and a sharp set of bulletesque Piiiiiwiiiiings as the quarters blew off the end of the pipe and broke the sound barrier. My mom who had been in the house sleeping came running out to see who was shooting guns in our yard. Oh, mom your crazy that wasn't a gun. . .it just sounded like a gun. She was yelling and carrying on about who was shooting and my brother and I were still in shock because we thought we wanted our bombs to work but it turned out we didn't. We were unprepared for success and a little disoriented by the sound and my mom's insistent hollering. She spotted us and was asking over and over what happened and if we were okay and in the heat of the moment and in the stupor of shock I blurted out, “It might have been a pipe bomb”. Good work there, that aught to throw he right off the trail. Sit back Matt, it is okay I have put up the rhetorical smoke screen now all we need do is escape under its billowing clouds of obscuring goodness. For some reason my brilliant oratorical skill was cut through like a knife by the simple trick of repeating back as fact the possibility I merely postulated.
“It was a Pipe Bomb!?!”
Whoops, she is on to us, run.
In reality I remember her being concerned for our safety and a little mad that we had made a bomb and that she absolutely forbade it in the future but I don't remember a lot of punishment. I guess we looked scared and sobered enough that she didn't need to help out.