Dad Fights the Cow


I don't know if it is the southern blood or just an overdeveloped sense of rage when it comes to the inanimate objects and animals but he is almost constantly doing very vocal battle with something. Most people would consider yelling at a cow an exorcize in futility but my dad loved to engage in some one sided verbal berating tearing down the cows fragile ego with a flurry of well timed verbal jabs. Every morning about daybreak he would go out and fight with the cow and get her untangled from the rope and harness that was used to keep her in the weeds and out of the road. You would hear him start in with some 'Oh, yes you're tangled up because you always want to be tangled up' and on an on in a non-stop chatter. One morning we heard the normal chatter interrupted by a a yelp of pain and rage from my dad and then in a few seconds a moo of the same meaning. We ran outside to see what was the matter and my dad and the cow were both bleeding from their respective heads and my dad was threatening to kill her and butcher her right then and there. When he calmed down enough to tell my mom what had happened we learned that he was freeing the cow's head from entanglement and when she got free she flipped her head to the side and cut his temple. He then took his normal non-physical confrontation to the next level of violence with the aid of a 3/4” steel pipe. He had hit her hard in the head with the pipe bending it in the middle. The cow had a small cut but looked no worse for it. My dad's head was bleeding profusely and he was still really mad. He went in for some doctoring and I was charged with disentanglement of the cow. Which I did without commentary and with my head well clear of the action – that is why we have parents so we can learn from their mistakes.