Kristen Likes Me


 When it was really cold or stormy outside the school officials would allow us to play in the gym but in the borderline days it could be really cold and miserable outside and the principal and teachers would force us out of the building. In those times the only way to sneak back into the life saving warmth of the school was to pretend you needed to use the bathroom or were picking up something vital so as to not look like you were loitering. On one of these days there were six cute girls who were hiding out in the legally ambiguous zone between the two sets of double doors. It was like running a gauntlet of girls to go and pretend to use the bathroom to stave off death by exposure. When I was walking through one time one of the girls told me as I passed through that, “Kristen likes you”. That was all she said and I didn't stop or ask what she was talking about because I was way too shy especially to talk to a girl. I was elated though and was giddy as I fake went to the bathroom and hung out thinking about what it meant that Kristen liked me. Did she think I was cute? Funny? Smart? One thing that was for certain was that she had impeccable taste. I was so excited that anyone had shown interest me at all that I wanted a little more but I needed to play it cool, but what I thought was cool may have been off base. I left the restroom across the hall from the cafeteria went down the hall away from the double doors that had the nest of young women and through the other set of double doors at the end of the hall. I walked outside and gave it a few minutes and walked over and through the girl's double doors hoping that one of them would give me some details as I walked through pretending not to see them. I went a little slower than usual but none of them said anything. I walked back down the hall past the bathroom, cafeteria, and back out the other double doors, back outside waited a tick and once more in to the “Kristen likes you” doors. Still the ladies were playing it close to the chest and were silent on this trip through as well. Once again I was down the hall past the bathroom and cafeteria and out the double doors again outside and back in this time at a fast walking pace because recess was drawing to a close and I needed to know without actually stopping and asking what the story was. Once more through didn't yield any new information and the bell rang sending us all back into the warmth of class but I was left in a lurch, how and to what extent did Kristen like me? I never got anymore information and as I grew older I started to fear that they may have just been playing a joke on Kristen telling a nerd that she liked him but it still made for a little bright spot of hope in my life because what if she really did I would think, what if?