TV Time - Or Wasting My Fifteen Minutes


When I was in third grade there was a lot of talk about changing to a four-day school week where we would go to school for about two more hours a day for the four days and then have Fridays off. That hard hitting news motivated the local news to go and interview kids to find out their opinion of the change. The third grade teachers of Santaquin elementary were asked to supply a few well behaved and erudite students to offer their opinions. In the interview I gave all kinds of really good information about how I thought that ten hours was too long for teachers and kids and that it would be hard for the parents of latch-key kids to arrange for child care on the Fridays off. I also made an offhanded joke about how it would make us all miss Dennis the Menice and Duck-tales as they were the cartoons that were on from three to four. I didn't even have a TV so to me it was clearly a moot point but the reporter thought that it was funny. The station called my mom and told he what time the piece would air and that I would be featured in the news so we called all of my aunts and uncles and told them and went over to my grandma's house to watch it. It was the last story so we all had to sit through an hour of news and I was super nervous waiting for how I would look on TV. When the piece came on the talked to a principle a congressman and a parrent and then It was my time to weigh in but the reporter set up my soundbite as being funny by saying that the kids concerns about the extra time in school was more about what we would miss on TV. Then It cut to me saying my bit about the cartoons and nothing else. The reporter chuckles about priorities and then turned it back to the anchors who were giving it the knowing half chuckle of anchor persons. I was mortified and enraged that I had been taken out of context and that I was the punchline to their little news joke. My uncles and aunts all called to congratulate and tease me about missing my cartoons. I tried to explain to all of them it was a joke and I said other good stuff but they didn't seem to care. I guess I learned an important lesson about those vultures at KSL, I just hope that didn’t count against my fifteen minutes or I will sue,