I Bring the Wagon Train In


As I mentioned earlier we spent a lot of of trips to Colorado in various states of danger and proto-danger. One time, and this is when I was fourteen and a half, my mom got really deathly ill with the flu or pneumonia or something and we didn't have enough money to keep staying there in Colorado. Even though she was really sick she decided to start off and try and power it on home. My grandpa filled us up with gas and away we went. We had traveled about 50 miles or so to Denver and my mom was getting worse and worse so she pulled over to rest. She was so deathly ill, shaking and feverish she asked me if I could drive for a little while while she rested. I had this glamorous fantasy version of driving like many kids do when they're 14 or 15; driving embodies coolness and liberation. When she asked me to take the wheel it felt nothing like that, in fact much more like the bottom had fallen out of my stomach and I was cold and feverish at the same time. She was in the passenger seat and I was driving absolutely terrified, so I was driving too slow, but she told me I had to go at least the speed limit or I would arouse suspicion. I sweated, and I could feel it dripping down my sides and down my back as I strained all the way forward and kept the car at exactly 55 emm-pee-aches. Thirty miles outside of Denver I got behind a U-haul trailer going west that was also going only 55 and I rode him for two hours all the way to the Rifle turn off when he turned north and left me to my own devices. When my mom woke up from her nap I had driven all the way from Denver to just outside of Grand Junction. She took back over and drove us home. My back and armpits dried up and I fell right to sleep having been emotionally and physically drained by my ordeal.
Admittedly, in retrospect, it doesn't seem so epic to have piloted a car with an automatic transmission in good weather for four hours on a freeway. All I had to do was push the go and stop peddles and keep it between the 'mayonnaise and the mustard' as the truckers say. The real payoff was that my brother and sisters and my mom didn't tell anybody how terrified I was. That left the door wide open to a much more heroic retelling. In my version I sounded a lot less like a scared teenager trying to help his mom out and more like John Wayne bringing in the wagon train safe and sound, little lady. It didn't go exactly like that but don't tell.