Battle Chess and Touching Computers


Worth the wait.

The one really good thing about my grandpa's house was that he was always on the bleeding edge of technology. Now, he honestly is not the most personable person and he definitely did not like sharing his toys. I mentioned before that we called him grandpa quack because he didn't really talk to kids, if we tried to talk to him, and this is true to this day, he would not really be interested so in the part of the conversation where he was supposed to respond he would just quack. He also did not like or did not like joke but to show you that he recognized what you said was supposed to be funny he would fake laugh by kind of tisking a few times while he wore a strained smile. So trying to get a read on him was a little bizarre, is really bizarre, and I was never sure of how he really felt about anything. I have since come to suspect he is probably a little Autistic but not so bad as to notice right off the bat. I have come here to day not to talk about my grandpa but of our great shared love of computers. He always had the newest and best and loved them so much, he never wanted us to touch them. That, of course, means I wanted to touch it even more. We were not allowed to play on his computer while he was gone incase we messed it up, I remember specifically him warning us not to touch the mouse while the computer was booting or else it would ruin it. I always wanted to play with it so badly that sometimes I would just go in and sit in his office chair and stare at the black screen and wait for him to come home. The only game he on this computer, was Battle Chess, which if you are unaware is like regular chess except the pieces are animated and act out cool killing sequences when you capture a piece. My brother and I were not very good at chess but we did like watching the action so we would set up the board over and over just to see every piece kill the others. Pretty much did that for hours because the other programs were just spread sheets, word processor and some really boring vocabulary game. But to a nerd a computer is a computer is a computer and as the sailors say, any port in a storm.