My Dad is Not Impressed


Sometimes parents claim that they want their kids to be proactive and take initiative. This is a lie. what they really want is for their kids to proactively do exactly what they were instructed to do like a good little robots. Every time it seemed like I was going to do something better then was expected or in the parlance 'go the extra mile' I ended up getting in more trouble than if I would have just stayed in bed like a lazy person. I am no lazy person so I was always going too far and making my dad mad. One time when we were at the furniture store I mentioned in the last post my dad was talking at length with the proprietor as he is wont to do. I was bored, bored, bored, booooooorrrrrrreeeeed. So I went out back to their appliance and furniture bone-yard and decided to do a good deed by scrapping out a dryer. I dissembled the whole thing keeping the good parts and stacking up the sheet metal to be recycled. I came back in with a little swagger in my little hips and was trying to play it off cool that I just junked out a whole dryer by myself. My dad went berserk just because I had junked out a perfectly good dryer that was worth more whole then in parts. He was all mad that he had to pay the owners back the retail value of the dryer and only keep the parts. Not one word of praise about how good it was that a 7 year-old was able to salvage a working dryer into parts and metal. I went to the truck, curled up on the floor board and cried until my feel-bads were no longer hurt.