Going to Not See the Fake Star Wars


One of the big highlights going to visit in Colorado was that my grandfather worked for the Air Force and could take us to go see some really cool stuff. He had been in the the Air Force as a pilot and he retired and went back to work for him as a civilian, working on the computers that controlled military satellites. When I was young he was working on the base, that had something to do with the Star Wars program. I want to remember, and by all means don't clear me up on this case is not true, that he actually worked on the base that was building the control systems for the Star Wars program. I have come to discover that the whole program was almost completely an impractical money pit for Cold War profiteering. It was cool to think of at the time, I loved the real, galaxy far far away, Star Wars and so anything named Star Wars no matter how misguided it was really got my attention. So, after I had requested a tour 1.2 million times he agreed to take me on base to take a look at where he worked. It turned out to not be as cool as I thought it would be, not so as many hands on projects as I would have liked and a depressingly sparse offering of Laser-from-space-blowing-up-missles demonstration type stuff. The base he worked on was a few weeks from being shut down to non-employees so they had really stringent security protocols to get in and get out. Around the perimeter they had these un-climbable fences all around a no-man's-land and then another fence. The no-man's-land was about 20' of loose gravel that the guard told us was to stop a heavy vehicle if it crashed the outer gate. The same guard pointed out an automatic machine gun placement and snipers in towers. Of course for a young GI Joe fan this was mindblowingly cool. When we went inside we had to be checked in and searched and everything and I was only seven or eight so I don't remember exactly but you had to go into an armored booth where they checked your ID and then scanned your eye, and weighed so they could check if you were carrying something stolen on the way out. If everything didn't check out going in or coming out they would lock you in the booth. I had to go into the booth alone and I was really scared that I would do something wrong and end up in lock-down, but it went fine. It turns out that that given my clearance level and pay grade I could see absolutely nothing, we mainly walked down the hallways we saw his office desk and computer which was not to cool, and he showed us the doors of a couple rooms where he worked but couldn't open because they were secret. The actual highlight was eating lunch in the cafeteria, we left that base and went to the Air Force academy for a tour, that had some fighter jets to look at at least. The big pay off was that I had pictures for show and tell of me in a nd around a very scarily secure military base with the implication of my inside knowledge into the Star Wars firmly in tow. I would show the pictures around an dimply that the really cool stuff was shown to me on a strict for your eyes only protocol. I would have loved to go into more detail but then I would have to kill them.