Hip Pop Hooray!


Once, right before we left on our trip out to Colorado I had tried to execute the trampoline triple flip and got damaged. I was trying to jump off the top of the swings then hit the tramp and flip, land, flip, land, flip and finally land. In fairness, everything was going really well all the way through flip, land, flip, land, flip, but then all off the sudden my accumulated miscalculation added up. What was to be my last, and triumphant landing went horribly wrong my foot went through the springs and my leg and went under the trampoline material while my hip stopped on the bar and my head, chest, arms and whatnot continued on with their momentum down to the ground. This little procedure netted me one hip dislocation which we didn't know the time. Of course it was sore but, of course it would be because of how I landed so we thought it would be painful for a day or two, or a month before I could laugh again. My mom give me some painkillers and I was able to walk a short distance to get in the car for our trip and then lounge around letting it heal. Something was happening but it wasn't healing it was getting worse and worse and swollen and painful and I was getting quite the nasty bruise all around my hip joint. You may know a young boy, and you may know that young boys that age are shy about injuries to the groin and discussing them frankly so I was describing the discomfort to my mom in whispered and vague terms because I didn't want anybody to hear anything about my privacy area. I said it hurt badly and then waved a circular pattern around my crotchal region. I guess that did not adequately portray the seriousness of the situation because she gave me some more aspirin and told me to keep sitting down and relaxing. It got so bad I could barely walk when we got to my grandpa's house and my great grandma Gillespie offered to give me some treatment. I had to strip off to my tighty-whities and she gave my hip a massage that hurt magnificently and didn't help in the least. It hurt so bad we finally went in to a doctor who palpated the area, like doctors love to do when it is clearly painful and then ask you if it hurt. He took an x-ray of the damage and saw that it was a dislocation. He came back in and told us what it was and without warning grabbed my feet and presses my thighs to my chest and then rotated my legs until the hip joint popped back it. The procedure was mindbogglingly painful and the days of waiting had made the joint swell and be really tender. But I was brave so I only did a lot of screaming and writhing around on the table. I am sure my mom was overjoyed to spend so much money only to be embarrassed by her son throwing a little show at the doctors office. It took a while to feel good again but to this day and any time I run or hike for long distances left hip just hurts like crazy. Which I think was probably because I had my joint out of socket for a week but who can tell?