A.B.P. and Ruining the Christmas letter


 If my brother and I had a motto, an unspoken motto, growing up it would have been, 'Always be Pranking'. We always did and still mostly do just love a good joke or tease and will go to pretty good effort to pull of a little something or another. It was always really funny to us but sometimes my mom or dad or both would think our jokes were not that funny and we would get into big trouble. One really great joke we pulled off was when my mom, who is not typically a Christmas letter writer, wrote a Christmas letter on our computer and left it there all willy-nilly like she didn't have a care in the world about a couple of boys sabotaging her one attempt at decency. Matt and I found the letter full of all the regular intolerable drivel about how everything is awesome and all kids are smart and cool and how much fun we are all having and how we hope you noticed that we are just a little bit more cool than all of you all this blessed season. No, no and hell no. We sprang into action to fix this travesty of a letter, first of all we removed all references to anything uplifting and included juicy true tidbits about family dysfunction, in a funny and light way, of course. We included information about my dad's rage hitting and uncontrolled anger, about my mom hitting us with back scratchers, little stories about how my mom was starting to wonder if my little sister was retarded or just really, really, really slow. Good stuff. We then most helpfully printed out all the copies my mom needed and helped her send them off without so much as a second glance on her part. Then in a few days the calls started coming in about how that was the funniest thing they had ever read and that she had the funniest sense of humor, and she was really confused because she didn't think the family news she had shared was very funny, and it wasn't. The worse part was is that she didn't just laugh off the joke when she read the letter she got really sad and cried which made us have to apologize profusely for the best joke we had ever masterminded. Now I am not sorry, I am proud of my naughtiness and I would do it again. She learned her lesson though and has never written one of those unforgivable missives again. We do have a great time as a family mocking the pathetic attempts at self-aggrandizement that are foisted upon us yearly. People should let their wicked boys have a stab at editing that trash into something more entertaining, and memorable.