Hook in the Butt


One morning when we were not factory fishing we were just trying to catch fish with a rod and reel. My dad, my brother and I were out in our boat on the lake trying to catch catfish and bass. While they are both fish they are from different tribes with vastly different tastes and cultures. If you want to catch them both at the same time every man and boy has to have a separate pole for each. On the pole you intend to catch catfish with you must rig with a big hook, preferable treble, or as many call it the 'three hook'. Then you put on plenty of weight because the catfish is a bottom feeder. Finally, you put something rotten on the end which is usually a really stinky mush of blood and meat. Ding, ding, ding, ding, breakfast is on! Get it while it's rotten! They eat that, they get hooked, we reel them in, and then we eat them, not just good, good for you. In recent years it has been discovered that all that bottom feeding has proven to be bad for our health as we have since learned that the catfish in that lake are full of toxins and the state recommends that a healthy adult eat no more then 4oz. a week. Well, no Johnny-Law-dog-deputy-dippity-doolittle is going to be the boss of me! Heck, some days I'll eat five even six ounces of that deliciously tainted meat, the chemicals give it flavor. Flavor is something those button down squares at the state department of health are evidently willing to sacrifice for properly developing fetuses and proper kidney function.
Why don't you have a seat right over hear?
Anyway, once we had the catfish pole rigged and cast out into to reeds we would rig up our pole for white bass. White bass are a small but aggressive fish that will attack any king of lure and are a lot of fun to fight into the boat. So we would open up my dad's multi tiered tackle box and rummage through all of the magnificent offerings. Chartreuse soft bodied whip tails, pumpkin and hazel spinners with a day-glow flash, fishermen have more names for colors and lusters then anyone besides interior decorators and nail polish manufactures. We would pluck out a promising looking lure, tie it on and then cast out into the water, preferably as close as possible to the trees, the bass love to hide under the branches of the trees but so do the lure eating branches so there is always some loss. The lures were my dad's so we were not too torn up about snagging and loosing a lure we would just break the line and re-rig. I had been casting a large two-hook fish mimicking lure with no success for a bit so I thought I had better switch up and I cut the old lure off and set it down while I selected a new one. I was tying on when my dad asked in a calmly furious tone where in the hell I had set my old lure. I told him it was right down on that bench he was sitting on. He then told me he had sat on it and that is was stuck in his. . . and at this point he used an ugly and vulgar word to describe his posterior. He went from calmly furious to just regular furious as he tried to pull the double treble hook out of his nethers. The whole time he was struggling to remove or even much less see the hook in his butt he was yelling out oaths of death and dismemberment to my brother and I. He was toward the back of the boat so we moved to the front as far as we could to be out of striking distance. He eventually decided on a top down from the front technique for removing the hooks. He had pulled his pants and underwear down as far as the hook would allow, and we tried desperately not to find this debacle funny. He then got a rusty razor blade from the tackle box and cut away the clothing so he could get a better look at the problem. He had one hook from each treble stuck in and the barbs wouldn't allow him to pull them out so curled up tight and with one foot up on the side of the boat my dad took the rusty razor and did a little surgery to remove the hooks. There was a lot of blood and a lot of cursing and he had to put a shirt into his pants as he pulled them back up to soak up some of the blood. He was understandably cranky about me putting my lure on his seat, even though it was an accident he held me almost solely responsible forgetting it was he who had sat on the lure. We didn't rush home or anything, we kept fishing and when the bleeding stopped he pulled the shirt out of his pants and we went home when the fishing was done. I think since that time I haven't put any hooks on seats, so lesson learned.