The Rest of The Night

 The rest of the night was a gentle unwinding compared with what we had done up until that point. After we were ordered by an officer of the law to sit in the front seat we drove out to an abandoned railroad tunnel that cut through a mountain and ended in a precipitous decline. It was a cool view and nice to be hanging out with some cool older kids who were there to lay on us some wisdom about how to deal with some of the stress and rigors of student body officer-ing. I pointed out in a jokey way that we were essentially powerless token participants in the grand scheme of things. Maybe because they didn't want it to be true and maybe because it was true they didn't like my line of thinking and explained all of the real good and difference we could make. They told us we could be the good examples that all of the other students looked up to to model their high school experience. I thought they were delusional. 90% of kids gave not a fiddlers flying fart who the student body council was let alone look up to them but I had learned a lesson from my previously shot down comments and held my tongue. That for me is actually kind of a big deal. We wrapped up our little love-in and headed out of the canyon to go get some hot chocolate at a little greasy spoon truck stop called the Cobble Stone. I went home in the morning thinking of all the awesome stuff we were going to do when we ran the school, having been tricked for the moment out of my knowledge of our inconsequential pull around the old high school. I made a list and brainstormed and got downright giddy. Being young and a lot more adaptable than I am now I was too excited to sleep and I called a friend who was just getting off work at that ungodly hour and we went climbing.