Fast Eddy

 Drugs are bad but sometimes they make a magical alchemy in the mind of a user that makes them pretty dang entertaining. On the boat we had a runner who was restricted to the boat because he was out of jail on probation stemming from some unpleasantness with the consumption of and sale of some chemical contraband. He told us he had been clean for a while but he still had that over fast twitchy urgency of a tweaker. He was pure energy and hustle from the crack of dawn until well after dark. He was pulling tanks, helping people in and out of the water and cleaning puke off of anything it got on. He zipped around the deck until everything was set and then he would go free dive a little and shoot some fish for dinner if the divers were not getting their own. He sat down a couple of times to talk to me and I asked him where he got the name Fast Eddy, it was based on exactly what you would guess. He told me about some of his tattoos which he got in prison and several times he would start in on a story and then look off into the distance and tell me to never try drugs. I wanted to hear more about his life and what he had done but he was busy so I would just catch him once more when he had dived down and shot an octopus and he told me to help him clean it so we could eat it. I had never seen an octopus in real life let alone have eaten one. We cleaned the animal and then Eddy grilled it in butter and teriyaki. It was not good but I ate it and pretended to like it because Eddy was so earnest and hopeful. That is the last time we spent anytime together and after he loaded us off the boat I never heard from him again but I had a much different opinion about drug users and addicts than I had formulated in my small town.