Grass Stains

 I have never let the potential for the destruction of personal clothing stop me from having any sort of fun. As it happens that is not a universal help value and there was a girl who is still probably mad at me about some grass stains. She was in my 'K' group and was one of those girls who was cute enough but so very uptight and proper that it ruined the whole vibe. She had actually lived in my small town when she was very young and so we had formed a little bond based on that fact of vaguely remembered childhood interactions. Which is to say, I remembered her because she was a cute and popular girl and she remembered me because I was a stinky nerd. The whole week I was teasing her about how exactly pressed and finished her look was even while we were playing outdoor games. She would just stay at a distance that would keep her in the showroom perfection she worked so hard to maintain. I thought maybe all she needed was some loosening up and if she got tussled she would be like one of those button down girls from the movies who realizes she is a wild child at heart. The third day at camp when she was walking from her dorm to the classroom where we met after breakfast she passed a group of about twenty kids playing kissing tag and I decided to chase her down and tackle her for a joke. I did, but in the process of tackling her to the grass she got grass stains on her pants and lost her damn mind. She pushed me away with the panicked strength of a mother protecting her young and looked at her now minutely stained jeans knees and started yell, scream, crying and called me all sorts of curses at the limit of which her propriety would permit even in the depths of hate-anger-rage. Sobbing she ran across the lawn back to her dorm. To the casual observer it would look like I had broken her legs and then tried to molest her, not playfully tried to tackle her to the ground. Everyone looked at me and I felt like a worm that had to explain to everyone that she was upset about grass stains and noting more serious. I got glares and saw people whispering, I assumed about me. We walked into class and the instructor asked where she was and people told him that I had tackled her and she had run back to her dorm. He looked worried and angry and after he got the class on task he asked me to come with him to go find her. We ran into her on the way to her dorm changed and clean and recovered from the worst of the rage fit. The instructor stopped her and we all three talked about what a monster I was for giving her grass stains on her pants. I was at once contrite and also defensive. I was genuinely sorry for hurting her feelings but on the other hand it was just some stupid grass stains. She told us that she was worried about her pants and so she had run back and got some pre-wash on them to see if they could be saved. I apologized and time went on and by lunch everything was back to normal. After the camp I saw her two years later and she was still mad a bout the grass stained pants and mentioned that before we even exchanged pleasantries and caught up. Even funnier is that my mom ran into her 15 years after the camp at a conference and the girl recognized her last name and told my mom that I had once tackled her and gave her grass stains on her jeans. When my mom told me she had run into the girl, now woman I guess, I asked if she mentioned grass stains, my mom laughed and said that was the first thing she said after she established that my mom was my mom. Some scars never fade.