Magic Man

I suffered from the delusion that many nerds do that people would like to watch me do magic. There are fans of magic, but some people eat boogers, so there is no accounting for taste. Most people are vaguely amused for a trick or act vaguely amused for politeness’s sake and then really hope you would stop because they don't want any more but courtesy prevents their escape. If I wanted to impress my captive audience I would break out some slight of hand coin tricks or a card trick. I thought this was a good way to make myself memorable and to have an excuse to talk to girls. I don't think it was as cool as I thought it was. On the second night of the UASC conference there were some girls from one of the other groups that one of my friends was in that came over to our dorm before the leadership would kick everybody out and lock the place down. There was a girl with them who was stunning and I like that in a woman. She had some kind of an ambiguous and slight ethnic flavor in her features which had the effect of making her exotic and striking while understated all smoothed out with the every-one-looks-better-when-they-are-young rule. I was struck by her and was for the first time in a long time intimidated by a girl. I did what every dork boy too deep in the morass of testosterone to stop himself does, I showed off. Lame, so lame. I broke out the cards and the coins for a little razzle-dazzle. In retrospect I think the girls just wanted to hang out with some new boys and relax but I jumped right in making people pick cards and try and find slight-handed coins. The played along and I ended up talking to the girl I wanted too when I had gained enough confidence by being an obnoxious nerd for a bit. She was really smart as well as beautiful. She was also self confident to the degree that she would laugh when I was funny and tell me I was not funny when I wasn't. Her ethnic flair was the result of being half causation and half Japanese which was a really good recipe. A girl like that could get me in trouble and she did.