When I Ask Her Out


 I think I maybe played it too cool because my girl's friends started asking me why I hadn't asked her out. Did I not like her? Was I leading her on? Was I a jerk? I made up excuses and rationalizations to explain why I had not but the real reason was that I was too scared. One day I resolved to do what had to be done and I told her in between classes that I wanted to ask her something when we went home. I was doing this so that if she didn't want me to ask her out she could avoid me because I figured she would have to know what I needed to ask her. She did not avoid me but gave me a hug then and then sat really close to me on the bus, like PDA close which made me a little uncomfortable. We got off the bus by a park that was a bout equal distant from our respective houses and we started a leisurely stroll up the road while I tried to hammer out the proper phrasing in my mind. She leaned gently into my side nudging me toward a nice spot of grass and a tree to lean against. My heart was racing my hands were soggy and my throat was dry I sat down with my back against the tree and made some small talk. When I went into the actual asking out, I farted, which came as a surprise to me and her. I had no warning no chance to hold back and I was mortified. What I did was not acknowledged it and she did me the dignity of returning that favor and we went on with the formality of asking out. When I got the words out she excitedly said yes and leaned forward, grabbed my face with both of her hands and kissed me on the lips. It was a warm fall day and the sun was warm and over-bright, the temperature was just right and I was so excited to have a girlfriend who wanted to be my girlfriend. After the initial warm glow though all I could think about was farting, I mean, what the hell? I was and still am embarrassed about that but she never mentioned it and because it is only she and I that know anything about it and she has probably long long ago forgotten it all I need to do now is keep it super secret and no one will ever know my shame.